Visit Our Newly Redesigned Website. | Click Here

Call Us First!

(650) 321-0384

If you have a sewer emergency or sewer related problem, please Call Us First, day or night at (650) 321-0384. Our reporting line is open 24/7. Thank you! 

Mar 25, 2020 Minutes

Published 2020-10-27 14:22:03

1902 – Serving Our Community for over 110 Years – 2020
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 25, 2020 AT 7:00 P.M.
1. Call to Order
President Dehn called the meeting to order at 7:04 PM
Roll Call
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Dehn, Otte, Thiele-Sardiña, Walker, Moritz
STAFF MEMBERS PRESENT: Scott, Condotti (via video call)
Others Present: None
2. Communications from the Public: None
3. District Manager’s Report
1) CIP Project:
a. Design work continuing on FERRF Levee Improvement and 2020 CIP
b. Cleaning/TVing Large Diameter lines: Crews have begun work on cleaning and
televising the large diameter sewer lines.
2) Affiliate Agency/Association News:
a. WateReuse– San Francisco Conference: DM was asked to join West Yost
Associates to present a paper on the Onsite Reuse Treatment Plant discharge permit
process on March 16, 2020, but the conference was postponed due to the Corona Virus
b. CWEA Annual Conference: DM & W&C will present on Recycled Water Treatment
Facility and the use of Time Lapse photography and Drone Video for construction
documentation and messaging on April 3 October 30, 2020.
c. CMPK: Discussions and reviews continue regarding the Metal Building Planning review.
It appears to be on the Planning Commission Agenda March 23 at 7 pm. District
Manager will provide an update at the Board Meeting.
d. San Mateo County: The County is asking us to look at our land space and discuss
possible sharing of uses for the property (i.e. FERRF).
3) Upcoming Events:
a. Board meetings: Next meeting April 8, 2020. We will likely implement remote meeting
b. Budget Workshop: April 29, 2020 at 5 pm.
4) Misc./Action Items from Previous Meeting:
a. SSOs: Zero SSO for February. 2020 Total = 0. 9 months in a row w/o SSO.
b. LAH: 1 SSO for February. 39 gallons in total. 1st SSO in over 12 months.
c. Form 700s: Due April 1.
d. DM Scott reported an increase in wipes in Sharon Heights pump station. The Board
directed DM to conduct public outreach for the community to decrease the amount of
wipes in the system.
e. DM Scott notified the City of Menlo Park that an emergency repair to District facilities on
College Ave. is necessary to replace a damaged wye connection.
f. Pipe Hunter: The new Pipe Hunter has arrived.
g. Metal Storage Building: The planning commission approved the building at its March
23 meeting subject to: Obtaining building permit, 15 day appeal period, comply with
Menlo Fire Dist. and pay $15K transportation impact fee (unless waived).
h. Corona Virus: DM Scott reported that DC Condotti prepared a COVID 19 memo for
District employees showing that they are essential employees.
4. Consent Calendar
Motion to Approve by: Otte 2nd by: Walker Vote: AYE: 5 NAY: 0 Abstain: 0
Comments: None.
A. Approval of Minutes for Regular meeting March 11, 2020
B. Approval of the Withdrawal Order Authorizing Payment of Certain Bills
and Salaries and Consideration of Other Financial Matters for March 25, 2020
5. Consideration of Resolution Authorizing the District Manager to Enter into Agreement
Between The Town of Portola Valley and the West Bay Sanitary District
Motion to Approve by: Moritz 2nd by: Otte Vote: AYE: 5 NAY: 0 Abstain: 0
Comments: None.
6. Consider Adoption of Resolution Establishing Rates of Pay and Related Compensation
Motion to Approve by: Moritz 2nd by: Sardina Vote: AYE: 5 NAY: 0 Abstain: 0
Comments: DM Scott discussed this item which adds the new Water Quality Supervisor and
increases the salary range for Water Quality Manager due to increased duties with the
Recycled Water treatment plant coming online.
7. Discussion and Direction on Recycled Water Projects – Sharon Heights & Bayfront,
Including Project Status
Comments: Ribbon cutting for the plant will be May 18. DM Scott presented a draft of the
building plaque for ribbon cutting. The Board suggested putting SHGCC logo on it and send
them a draft for approval.
8. Report & Discussion on South Bayside Waste Management Authority (SBWMA)
Comments: President Dehn reported that upcoming discussion topics will be the Town of
Atherton changing to Green Waste for services and terminate agreement with JPA.
9. Report, Discussion & Direction on Silicon Valley Clean Water (SVCW) and Discussion on
SVCW CIP Program and Financing
Comments: Director Otte reported the boring of 1.1 miles is proceeding better than expected.
10. Update on District’s Corona Virus Response
Comments: DM Scott reported that the old treatment plant building at the FERRF has been
updated with new flooring, paint, countertops etc. to make room for half of the maintenance
staff. Essential crews are assigned to report to the FERRF or at the Corp Yard each morning
and lunch to reduce the number of essential employees that are together at one time and to
create a work space that maintains adequate social distancing for staff. Personal Safety Wear
is being laundered regularly and there are extra coveralls and protective suits (Tyvek) should
staff need them. Various types of gloves, masks, and respirators are available to employees
and additional product orders have been made and are expected to arrive soon to maintain
minimum inventory.
11. Closed Session
(Cal. Govt. Code §54956.9(d))
Name of Case: 1740 Oak Avenue, LP v. West Bay Sanitary District, et al. – SMCSC
Case No. 18CIV02183
(Pursuant to Cal. Govt. Code §54957.6) Agency designated representatives: Legal
Unrepresented Employee: District Manager
(Subdivision (a) of Section 54956.9)
Chan, Moreno, Vestnys, Pebbles v. WBSD – San Mateo County Court Case No.
Entered closed session at 8:10 p.m. Left closed session at 8:20 p.m.
Reportable action: None.
12. Comments or Reports from Members of the District Board and Consider Items to be
Placed on Future Agenda
Comments: Director Moritz asked to have all expenses for the proposed budget for 2020-
2021 reviewed for possible reduction or elimination.
13. Adjournment Time: The meeting was adjourned at 8:27 PM
/s/ David A. Walker