Visit Our Newly Redesigned Website. | Click Here

Call Us First!

(650) 321-0384

If you have a sewer emergency or sewer related problem, please Call Us First, day or night at (650) 321-0384. Our reporting line is open 24/7. Thank you! 

Sep 28, 2016 Minutes

Published 2019-01-14 07:38:28

1902 – Serving Our Community for over 110 Years – 2016
1. Call to Order
President Moritz called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM
2. Roll Call
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Moritz, Walker (Secretary Pro-Tem), Otte, Thiele-Sardiña via
Phone Conference (Director Thiele-Sardiña called into the meeting from 135 West 45th Street,
New York, New York 10036)
STAFF MEMBERS PRESENT: Scott, Kitajima, Gallogy, Ramirez, Slusser
Others Present: Colleen Costien – HF&H, Michael Douglas, Tom Lodato,
Louis Ebner
3. Communications from the Public: None
5. Discussion and Status Update on the Solid Waste/Recycling Collection Draft Rate Study
for the Year 2017
Comments: DM Scott discussed the need to change rates to match costs for certain solid
waste residential customers. He presented the rate analysis prepared by HF&H. Board
consensus was to consider additional rate scenarios and review the model and discuss at the
next meeting.
6. Consent Calendar
A. Approval of Minutes for Regular Meeting September 14, 2016
B. Approval of the Withdrawal Order Authorizing Payment of Certain Bills
and Salaries and Consideration of Other Financial Matters for September 28,
C. Consideration of Resolution Amending Reimbursement Agreement between Christopher
Buja, Luis Mejia, Sausal Creek Associates and West Bay Sanitary District
Motion by: Walker 2nd
by: Otte Vote: AYE: 4 NAY: 0 Abstain: 0
Comments: President Moritz pulled item 6C for discussion and vote. Tom Lodato discussed
the benefits of the proposed amendment. Louis Ebner commented that he has assurances
that 3 or 4 more residents will be connecting to sewer with an amended agreement. Michael
Douglas commented he is looking forward to working with the community and moving forward
with his project with an amended agreement. President Moritz mentioned that an email has
been received from an agreement participate that states he has not had time to review the
amended agreement. Board consensus was to approve agreement as drafted pending
approval by the third participant and any changes to be approved by District legal counsel.
Item 6C Motion by: Walker 2nd
by: Moritz Vote: AYE: 4 NAY: 0 Abstain: 0
4. District Manager’s Report
1) CIP Project:
a) Sausal Vista pump station pipeline, Phase I PG&E is complete. Phase II is 80%
b) Change order proposed for Belle Haven I project.
2) Affiliate Agency/Association News:
a) CWEA: Tri-State Seminar. 6 staff scheduled for exams.
b) CMPK: Working on RFP for Baylands Recycled water feasibility study.
3) Upcoming Events:
a) October 12, October 26.
b) Ethics training due.
c) New Maintenance worker started.
4) Misc./Action Items from Previous Meeting:
a) SSOs: 4 SSO year to date. 2 in September.
b) SHGCC: Long Term Agreement development in progress. Targeting end of September for
completion of agreement.
c) Sewer Laterals on Santa Cruz Ave.: the City of Menlo Park will send out letter to residents
when contractor is on board regarding sewer lateral replacement and waive some of the
encroachment fees.
5) Resource Sharing:
a) Town of Los Altos Hills: Beginning new contract year of cleaning and TV. 1 SSO to date this
calendar year.
b) Town of Woodside: District assisting with Pump station rehabilitation planning. Writing
contract for new service year. New DPW.
7. Consider Approving Engineer Design for CIP 2016-17
Motion by: Walker 2nd
by: Otte Vote: AYE: 3 NAY: 0 Abstain: 0
Comments: DM Scott discussed the Belle Haven III project and engineer design for CIP and
the need for adding the El Camino Real line and Sharon road section to the CIP design.
These projects would replace old pipe, reduce I&I, reduce a capacity issue at Avy Avenue and
reverse the flow towards the recycled water influent pump station.
8. Discussion of Public Utility Easements and Street Easements – 1300 El Camino Real,
Menlo Park
Comments: DM Scott discussed the PUE proposed and ROW proposed easements to be
vacated and the new easement created for the project and options. Board consensus was to
proceed with this plan as outlined.
9. Consideration of Authorizing the District Manager to Grant the Vacation Request of a
Ten foot Sewer Easement at 2513 Alpine Road, Portola Valley
Motion by: Walker 2nd
by: Moritz Vote: AYE: 3 NAY: 0 Abstain: 0
Comments: DM Scott outlined the County’s request to vacate unused District easement on
10. Consider Approving Change Order No. 1 and 2 for the Belle Haven I Sewer
Rehabilitation Capital Improvement Project to Replace 8” Sewer Main on Sharon Road,
Menlo Park
Motion by: Walker 2nd
by: Otte Vote: AYE: 3 NAY: 0 Abstain: 0
Comments: Projects and IT Manager Kitajima explained the need for the change order and
the projects for which it would be used.
11. Consideration of Accepting Work by Cratus for the Sausal Vista Pump Station –
Phase I Rehabilitation Capital Improvement Project and Authorizing the District Manager
to File the Notice of Completion
Motion by: Walker 2nd
by: Otte Vote: AYE: 3 NAY: 0 Abstain: 0
Comments: DM Scott reported that the project is complete and within budget.
12. Report: Update & Discussion on Recycled Water Project and Update on Negotiations with
Sharon Heights Golf Course on Long-Term Agreement
Comments: DM Scott gave an update on the project which included continuing negotiations
with Sharon Heights Golf Course on a long-term agreement.
13. Report & Discussion on South Bayside Waste Management Authority (SBWMA)
Comments: Operations Superintendent (OS) Ramirez reported that SBWMA is continuing
with negotiations and strategy for extending the franchise agreement with Recology.
14. Report & Discussion on Silicon Valley Clean Water (SVCW) and Discussion on SVCW
CIP Program
Comments: President Moritz reported Commission meeting next week.
15. Discussion & Update on Succession Planning
Comments: DM Scott discussed the need for succession planning in the maintenance
department due to upcoming retirement and staff turnover. DM Scott suggested hiring a
maintenance worker in advance of upcoming retirement so that newer workers may be
mentored by this person. Board consensus was to proceed with this plan. DM Scott also
discussed the need for permanent, part-time administrative staff which would replace the
temporary staff currently working in the front office. Board consensus was to move forward
and determine the rate of pay, CALPERS and benefits requirements and present to the Board
in a future meeting. DM Scott discussed the increasing need for more and regular public
outreach program and the possibility of adjusting the job description and salary range of
existing staff with experience in this area. President Moritz expressed that public outreach
could be handled by a consultant and Director Otte and Treasurer Walker expressed their
views that in-house public outreach may be more effective since with existing staff the
expertise exists and knows the District and area events better. Board consensus was there is
a need for increased and regular public outreach and to proceed with determining the
additional duties and salary range for existing staff member in this area and bring back to the
Board for consideration in a future meeting.
16. Closed Session
Initiation of litigation (Government Code §54956.9(d)(4))
Number of potential cases: (1): 775 Menlo Ave. #2, Menlo Park
Entered closed session at 9:23 p.m. Left closed session at 9:24 p.m.
Reportable action: None
17. Comments or Reports from Members of the District Board and Consider Items to be
Placed on Future Agenda
Comments: None
18. Adjournment Time: The meeting was adjourned at 9:24 PM
/s/ Fran Dehn