Visit Our Newly Redesigned Website. | Click Here

Call Us First!

(650) 321-0384

If you have a sewer emergency or sewer related problem, please Call Us First, day or night at (650) 321-0384. Our reporting line is open 24/7. Thank you! 

March 9, 2016 Minutes

Published 2019-01-08 13:42:02

1902 – Serving Our Community for over 110 Years – 2016
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 9, 2016 AT 7:00 P.M.
1. Call to Order
President Moritz called the meeting to order at 7:08 PM
2. Roll Call
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Moritz, Dehn, Walker, Thiele-Sardiña
Director Thiele-Sardiña joined the meeting by telephone from Hilton Hotel O’Hare located in O’Hare International
Airport 10000 W O’Hare Ave, Chicago, IL 60666
STAFF MEMBERS PRESENT: Scott, Condotti, Kitajima, Ramirez
Others Present: John Farnkopf and Rick Simonson – HF&H, Inc.
3. Communications from the Public: None
4. Consideration of the Establishment of a Public Hearing Date for Proposed Increase in Sewer
Service Charges as Required by Proposition 218, Adopt the Updated Sewer Rate Study and
Provide Staff Direction Regarding the Sewer Service Charge Rate Adjustment and the
Mailing of the Proposition 218 Notice for a Public Hearing
Motion by: Dehn 2nd
by: Walker Vote: AYE: 4 NAY: 0 Abstain: 0
Comments: Based on the rate study the Board consensus was to maintain the current multi-
family and single-family rate structure. The Board requests that large multi-family developments
install flow meters in the future and would like the presentation to show the old projection of 10%
increase for the public hearing on May 11.
5. District Manager’s Report
1) CIP Project:
a) Belle Haven I (Eastside Triangle) is approximately 90% complete.
b) Sausal Vista pump station pipeline, phase I PG&E conduit is installed and contractor working on
punch list items. McGuire and Hester to begin Phase II. Notice to proceed has been sent to
McGuire and Hester.
2) Affiliate Agency/Association News:
a) CWEA: Week of February 29, DM made appearance at P3S conference, Tri-State Seminar meeting
and Santa Ana River Basin Section Installation dinner. DM Scott discussed CWEA agency
sponsorships for emerging water leaders. Board consensus was to put the sponsorships to be
considered at the next Board meeting.
b) SVCW: DM and staff working with District Counsel for revisions to JPA.
3) Upcoming Events:
Board meetings: March 23 and April 13.
4) Misc/Action Items from Previous Meeting:
a) SSOs: 1 SSO in January. 0 SSO in February.
b) SHGCC: Contract work proceeding. Critical items of an agreement are being ironed out, i.e. cost
sharing, O&M costs, guarantee of service etc.
c) CMPK: Attempting to set up meeting to continue MOU discussions
d) OPEB: Actuarial study due this spring. DM considering establishing a reserve to fund liability <$100k. 5) Resource Sharing: a) Town of Los Altos Hills: Performed 1st round of 12 High Frequency cleaning approximately 20,000 lf. b) Town of Woodside: District assisting with Pump station rehabilitation planning. c) Sewer Authority Mid-Coast Side: Submitted draft FOG program assessment. Submitted a quote for quarterly inspections at their request. 7) Board Review of DM Report: DM will facilitate a check items for relevancy within the DM report. 6. Consent Calendar A. Approval of Minutes for Regular meeting February 24, 2016 B. Approval of the Withdrawal Order Authorizing Payment of Certain Bills and Salaries and Consideration of Other Financial Matters for March 9, 2016 C. Consider to Ratify and Approve Report on District’s Investment Portfolio Including the Transactions of Assets Described Therein as of 2-29-16 Motion by: Walker 2nd by: Dehn Vote: AYE: 4 NAY: 0 Abstain: 0 CONSIDERATION OF ITEM(S) REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT CALENDAR Comments: None 7. Report & Discussion on Silicon Valley Clean Water Joint Powers Agreement Revisions Comments: DC Condotti presented a revised version of the Joint Power Agreement for Board review. 8. Report: Update & Discussion on Recycled Water Project Comments: DM Scott reported on updates to the project. 9. Report & Discussion on South Bayside Waste Management Authority (SBWMA) Comments: Secretary Dehn reported that Interim Executive Director Hillary Gans is onboard; the new Director search has begun with the County; TAC will plan evaluation of Recology contract; mid-year budget moving forward as expected; Board approved contract for the repair of the MRF and transfer station tipping floor; and on April 1, AB 1826 begins for MRF and commercial facilities with 8 cubic yards or more of organic waste to subscribe for organics pickup. 10. Closed Session – WBSD A. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION/CONF. WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS Agency designated representatives: Board President/Legal Counsel Unrepresented employee: District Manager Entered closed session at 9:11 p.m. Left closed session at 9:12 p.m. Reportable action: None 11. Comments or Reports from Members of the District Board and Consider Items to be Placed on Future Agenda Comments: President Moritz reported on SVCW awards luncheon: they processed 64M gallons on Saturday, they use CWEA training widely for employees and SVCW has high school science programs on sewage treatment. 12. Adjournment Time: The meeting was adjourned at 9:18 p.m. /s/ Fran Dehn Secretary